Security Design Engineer
Reports to: Director of Engineering – NSI
Designs security system solutions that fulfill the use requirements of the customer. The solution will specify system capabilities as well as limitations. The Security Design Engineer supports the Sales team throughout the quoting process. During the project and closeout phase, the DE provides project revisions and product implementation support to the technical team.
The ability to work in a dynamic team environment. Interface directly with sales team members.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The essential functions listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
I’m thankful to get to work with such talented and forward-thinking engineers with positive attitudes, which is key!Robert White, Lead Engineer
- Designs, develops, and coordinates integrated security systems such as access control, alarm, and IP camera systems.
- Generates proposal documents such as a complete bill of materials based on the system design, a written scope of work detailing system functionality, and consolidated spreadsheets showing labor and item costs.
- Accurately estimate labor for project tasks of project management, engineers, and installation technicians.
- Conducts site surveys and works with sales teams to design physical security device placement to include connectivity, device selection, standards compliance, building and life safety codes and implementation of integrated solutions.
- Engineering and estimation process to include interfacing with sales, management, vendor and customer teams.
- Work with engineers of all disciplines to create total low voltage solutions.
- Interface with manufacture and distribution partners to obtain systems, device and equipment pricing during the engineering/design process.
- Support the sales team by participating in technical discussions and meetings with customers and manufacturer partners.
- Work with architects, engineers and design team on design-build projects.
- Preparation of timely and accurate engineered solutions for a variety of integrated security solutions; including access control, IP video surveillance, intrusion detection, electronic locking hardware, and associated infrastructure.
- Prepare responses to RFP’s including clarification questions and itemized bids.
- Complete assigned tasks with minimal supervision.
- Support all types of technical escalations from the field team and work with other team members as needed on resolutions.
- Work through change orders as they develop throughout the project, making any necessary adjustments to project documents
- Lead project review meetings during key handoffs with sales and project management
- Establish and maintain a positive and effective line of communication with the other team members
- Represent Unified Technology Systems in a positive and professional manner at all times.
- Productively interface with all team members and project stakeholders – internal and external.
- Understand and follow Unified Technology Systems policies and procedures.
- Proactively identify and discuss ideas to improve policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate respect to co-workers, customers, and vendors.
- Take responsibility for your own actions and activities.
- Promptly reply to all email and voicemail communications, including outside of standard work hours when required
- Complete timecards daily.
- Keep work area clean and free of clutter, to include (where applicable) office space, company vehicles, and job site.
- Keep all scheduled activities current in your Unified Technology Systems’ MS Outlook calendar.
- Be respectful in the care and handling of all company and client owned resources
Requirements and Qualifications:
- College- or trade school-level education or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in the physical security industry or 2+ years in pre-sales support/estimating position with access control and IP video surveillance experience.
- Proficient with the Microsoft office suite, including a strong Excel knowledge.
- Basic level CAD and/or Visio experience preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of systems engineering principles, methods, and techniques.
- Knowledge of the associated hardware, software, and equipment.
- Knowledge and experience with – S2, RS2, Milestone (certification(s) preferred)
- Intermediate understanding of server, storage and networking architectures.
- Must be able to pass an F.B.I. Background Check
- Prefer familiarity and understanding of AV design production in AV floor plans, riser plans, elevations, sectionals, system and control diagrams and writing specifications
- Bid estimating and contract pricing
- Possess and maintain an excellent understanding of security and A/V best practices
- Ability to convey technical viewpoints to non-technical personnel
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings (architectural, mechanical, and electrical systems)
- Excellent time management, multi-tasking and prioritization skills.
- Ability to eliminate sales obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches.
- Ability to manage deadlines and have excellent follow-up skills in order to drive tasks to completion.
- Must be professional and polished in appearance and be comfortable speaking to small groups of managers and technical and/or facility personnel.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to think and work independently and meet necessary deadlines
- Ability to interact with field personnel, management and customers
- Occasional after-hours and/or travel